Sunday, January 29, 2012

Canned Food Drive



Service is so important to me as a local title holder. My community has had a big part of grooming me into the young woman I am today, so it is important to me to try and return the favor. One of the great ways I got to do that this holiday season was the canned food drive with Phil Smoley.



We dropped off collection boxes at banks and local government offices in Lakeport. I've done several food drives throughout the years, and was not anticipating a ton of cans especially with our current recession. Once again, I was proven wrong by the wonderful citizens I get to represent! Counting the cans and loading them up in the truck was quite the task, especially in four inch heels! We collected over 1200 cans and several thousand dollars that we got to donate to two amazing causes. Most of the donations were given to the Lakeport Senior Center to assist the Meals on Wheels program that is incredibly important in our county. The second cause is North Coast Oppertunities' new food bank in Lakeport across the street from the bowling alley.




No comments:

Post a Comment