Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Lake County Fair


Miss Lake County being at the fair is one of my favorite traditions! I remember being a young girl and being amazed that someone so glamorous was just walking around our fair talking to everyone. Now that I'm in the job I realize that there is much more to it. Alice and I made a point to go into every nook and cranny of our fair (including the train building which was a first for both of us).

Growing up in 4-H it was really important for me to go back up to the barns where I had built so many memories, and share it with Alice for her first time. I raised pigs and several other smaller animals, while my sister raised sheep. 4-H had a big part in making me responsible for my own actions, which is a trait that I find more and more important as i grow up. I found out that girls in crowns, heels, and cocktail dresses is not exactly a common sight in the livestock barns, a group of parents informed me that in the ten years they've camped there they have never seen a Miss Lake County make the trip. One of my favorite parts of the fair was when a young 4-H girl came up to us to ask for our signatures and one reason why we love our fair to send in to Jerry Brown. I absolutely love to see spunky young girls standing up for what they care about!

At the fair I had my first judging opportunity! Alice and I had the honor of judging the Lake County talent show, and I was amazed with the talent hiding in our neck of the woods! With so many amazing acts it was a tough job, but we picked the right winner in the end. Tyler is an amazing Comedian, and an awesome young man!

I met all kinds of interesting people that weekend, and I had to get used to young girls looking at the top of my head. It was amazing how many people wanted to come up to me to ask how I became Miss Lake County and what my plans for the year are. It was great to get community support and to spread the message of the Miss America.

No comments:

Post a Comment