Thursday, February 16, 2012

Tango Mike


As a daughter of a marine I have always appreciated the brave men and women who fight for our country. Three years ago I started working with Adopt a Soldier to try and do my part to thank our troops. I've had several soldier pen-pals but one very special soldier became my best friend.
Luke and I have a lot in common, including our birthday! We have been close since our birthday three years ago and have conquered two tours of duty together. I can not wait until he's back home for good after this deployment to Afghanistan is over. He was a bit of my inspiration for volunteering with Tango Mike this Christmas season, where I got to make care packages to send out to the troops who call Lake County home.
No one warned me when I chose the day to volunteer that it was a homecoming for a few of the guys, let me tell you I cried like a baby! One of the soldiers was the first to receive a package from Tango Mike, after years of serving his country he attributes Tango Mike for helping him through the rough times. As my dad says, "There's no place like home, even if it's coming in a box." It was great to find a new way to help my troops and I can not wait until I have another school break so I can volunteer on the third Thursday of every month to help make care packages. If you would like to make a donation to Tango Mike or find out how you can volunteer check out their website! http://www.operationtangomike.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment