Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Marin County Fill the Boot

If you happened to be out and about in Marin County on Saturday you may have seen a bunch of handsome/beautiful firefighters asking people to fill the boot at intersections. Well that's because those lovely people were using their muscles to make a difference for my platform organization the Muscular Dystrophy Association! Every year all across the country firefighters help MDA out by getting their boots filled with donations. This years Marin event raised $32,393! That is going to help out my kids so much, thank you to all the firefighters and to all the drivers in Marin who donated!

Later this year firefighters will do another very special thing for MDA when a few of them come to camp on hometown hero day. That day every year we have a firefighter vs. police officer tug-of-war, the kids get to see lots of fire trucks and police cruisers, and the even get to spray the fire hose! This is one of my favorite days at camp because the kids get so excited to see some amazing heroes! If any firefighters happen to be reading this please give MDA a call and spend a day at camp!

I had a special job this Saturday that really showed me the other side of MDA. I got to help run the show! I spent the day running around collecting the donations from the firefighters and then counting the money. It was such a busy job that I don't have any pictures from the day to share unfortunately, but I do have lots from the awards BBQ with some of our amazing firefighters!




MDA's charmer

Our golden boy

Dennis was a rock star with me in San Rafael all day!

Who knew firefighters love being in pictures so much?!



Great work guys!

An MDA favorite!
Not only did I learn how exciting but tough it is to be behind the scenes at an MDA fundraiser, I also learned a few things about fire fighting! Did you know that fire houses would have dogs to clear the streets back when fire trucks were horse drawn?! I was a little disappointed that there wasn't a dog to hang out with me at San Rafael fire house 2 all day, but I had great company so it all worked out. Another fun fact is that they all rotate who cooks, so they all have to have at least some culinary skills!

I had such an amazing day and can not wait to do it again! Next MDA funraiser is the Sonoma County Lock Up. I can't wait to tell you all about it, and I promise I'll have more event pictures next time!

 Date: Wednesday, May 16th
Time: 10:30 – 2:30, you can stay as long as you like
Location: Hopmonk Tavern, 691 Broadway Ave. , Sonoma

No comments:

Post a Comment